Beneath this bowl of stars...

toddler activites, food, photos, and other orbital occurrences

three times in the last 36 hrs I used google to troubleshoot, pinpoint or fix a car problem... I have not yet mentioned how much I love google, well let this be counted as the first of many.....

it all started when our OBD light came on. I was a little worried that our car might blow up or stop dead in its tracks. Dave said this happened once before and all it needed was a new gas cap... cost us nearly $300. I decided I would go to an auto parts store, get a gas cap and see if that fixed it. I learned in my research for a store that not only do cars tell you a code for what is probably wrong, but all I had to do to get this code was turn the ignition key on and off 4 times, on the 4th one, the odometer should change to the code. WOW! this sounded like magic, or at least like the clues for the Xtra Special Edition Tickle Me Elmo my dad got amber for christmas...... our problem: code P 0158
-- which has something to do with an oxygen sensor. This is as far as I got in fixing it. I did go to a parts store and the guys laughed at me when i told them i wanted to get the part and try to change it myself, so off to a garage we will go.... at least i can walk in and tell them what i think is wrong...

next Dave's dad wanted me to find out how to turn off their maintenance required light. one quick search and one click later, i learned that for their car, you turn on, change trip to odometer, turn off, hold in trip button, turn on and keep holding until light goes off. Done! fixed. piece of cake. (the light was only on to tell them to get an oil change)

next we decided to google our a/c fan issue that has caused us to be without a/c or heat for the last 3 summers/2 winters. (it was far too hard to get it fixed in nyc). again one search one click, and step by step instructions on how to find and re-establish a connection for the melted and eroded box.


Dave ran out to the car, found the box and in less than 5 min our fan was once again working, all it was all that time... a bad connection. Thank you google, i am now cool in this heat!

0 comments: